Are you planning on shifting to cybersecurity from your general IT position?
At some point in our lives, we want to excel and move on to better positions in our professional industry. In the IT industry, most professionals seek out higher positions in Cybersecurity because it is one industry where you can get a pretty good job position that pays well and gives tons of benefits. Even more, there are several jobs in IT security that can lead to some pretty amazing high level positions in the industry.
But the real question is, how do you begin? How do you know which position is worth pursuing in IT security? Below are some headlines you can which can help you find the right career path.
Start by discovering your passion
- Every individual has a different preference and passion. Before you can find the best career in the IT security industry, you need to learn about your passions. What do you like doing the most? Do you like bug hunting? Developing software? or finding threats in systems and networks?
Once you have discovered what moves you, start acquiring the right skills and knowledge in that field. Master every tool and software required to operate in the field until you become the go-to source for that.
Start examining job postings
- Once you have learned your passion and know what career you want to follow, start looking at various job postings from cybersecurity companies or companies that require cybersecurity professionals. This way you will learn about the skills and knowledge popular to that career.
Find a recruiter
- Once you have decided to pursue a career in a certain field, start finding a recruiter that will help you look for jobs in the industry. But you must make sure that the recruiter you work with must know about your particular requirements and understands the experience you hold.
Create professional social media profiles
- If you are not looking for a job, or if you have already found a job worth working for, you should still create a professional profile on social media where people can learn more about you. This way employers will send you offers.
See if the job requires traveling
- Before you find the perfect career, you must make sure whether your position requires traveling or not. Depending on your personal preferences, you can find a job that requires no traveling or a job that requires frequent traveling to other places. A lot of employers will ask you if you are willing to go to other places to get the job done.
Find people at conferences
- If you have found the perfect IT job and company, you should start by visiting conferences. Many IT conferences have VIP guests from big name companies who regularly attend these conferences. By attending one of these, you can directly get in touch with people you want to work with.
Friend the HR Guy
- Speaking of conferences, many companies also send in their HR staff to find new professionals to hire. If any of the conferences you attend happen to have a HR guy attending, go and friend him immediately. Get his contact details and exchange emails. This way you may be informed about openings inside the company that are often not advertised outside.
When Nothing Works
If you are still unable to find your dream job, don’t worry. Consider joining a position that is less attractive and start growing from there on.
Latest posts by Donna Archerdoa (see all)
- The USA Has Blamed North Korea For Recent Hacking Spree - June 13, 2017
- Cisco and IBM are now partners in a historic cybersecurity move - May 31, 2017
- Experts are warning businesses not to fulfill the demands of WannaCry - May 17, 2017